Virtual Universe Basic Review
|Start ICO||01 Aug 2018|
|End ICO||31 Oct 2018|
Ticker symbol: VU
Project type: Game and VR
Extended company description: VU is a virtual reality game based on affective computing (AC), AI, machine learning (ML) and blockchain.
Public ICO start date: August 1, 2018
Public ICO end date: October 31, 2018
Token sale duration (weeks): N/A
Token type: ERC20
Token emission: 1,000,000,000
Tokens available for sale (Pre-Sale + Public ICO): 600,000,000
Investment goal: N/A
Price: 1 VU = 0.00016 ETH
Accepted currency: ETH
Bounty program: Active; private invite - vutoken.tokenagency.com
Token role: Functional
Team (number of people): 15
Advisors and partners (number of people): 7
VU is a virtual reality game based on affective computing (AC), AI, machine learning (ML) and blockchain. This multiplayer game enables its users to communicate with friends and complete various quests. Players can also participate in improving the game in return for rewards.
- Mitchell Price - Owner, NathanMed (development of medical devices). President of Price Technologies (online price comparison marketplace).
- Kevin McDonald - Member of the Advisory Committee, Orange County Homeland Security Advisory Council. Operations Director at Alvaka Networks (Network Performance Monitoring, Security and IT Support Services).
- John Ghadimi – Head of User Experience at Neudesic. Previously user experience manager at Avanade and user experience director at Infusion.
- Ev Stanton - Non-profit organizations advisor and coordinator for city events at LORE Productions, LLC, advising on issues related to non-commercial city events. He is also a managing partner of EverWitt Productions, LLC.
- Scott Brovsky - CEO of InSoCal Connect. Co-founder and former vice president of marketing at NZN Labs, Inc. Previously chief marketing officer of Multi Labs (game development).
- David Mcneil - Director of EPIC Insurance Brokers & Consultants, executive producer at EyeOne Productions.
- Rob Behnke - Founder and president of Token Agency (marketing and strategic agency in the field of blockchain start-ups). Co-founder of Stealth Mode Startup Company.
- Protofire - Technical function helping to accelerate the growth of the ecosystem, to evaluate the architectural design of blockchain solutions, to create security reviews of smart contracts and advise on best practices for launching CI / CD pipelines.
- IdentityMind Global - infrastructure function. Provides SaaS platform that accumulates and analyzes information about object used by the computer system to access users’ services and websites, enabling authentication and identifying/preventing identity fraud.
- Token Agency - promotion. Marketing agency for blockchain start-ups.
- Campbells - legal support. Offshore law firm founded more than 45 years ago. Provides corporate and legal advice, legal services.
- Squire Patton Boggs - legal support.
- ChainSecurity - provision of automated, formally verified audits based on recent ICE Center research, ETH Zurich. Combines the latest research in software analysis, machine learning and system security with the goal of building innovative blockchain solutions.
- Tech Coast Angels - business financing. Finances companies in the early stages of development. The second most active network of business angels in the United States in terms of funding.
- Wharton Alumni Angels - business financing. Helps business angels build their investment portfolios and at the same time helps start-ups.
- The Pasadena Angels - business financing. Business angel.
- The Cove Fund - business financing. Venture fund providing start-ups with financing.
- VRLA - world's largest festival of immersive technology.
- ACMSIGGRAPH - international community of professionals interested in computer graphics and interactive techniques.
- LAUNCH - business incubator.
- DigitalLA - largest digital entertainment group in Los Angeles.
- TieCon - event dedicated to entrepreneurship in Northern India.
- UCI University of California, Irvine - University of California.
- EvoNexus - incubator of leading start-up technologies based in Southern California.
The project is based on a multiplayer game with the use of virtual reality technology.
Strengths of the project:
- The project’s intended market shows high growth rates.
- The project has had several successful investment rounds.
- Experienced team and advisors.
Weaknesses of the project:
- No strategy for attracting customers presented, absence of a scaling strategy or a marketing campaign.
- There is no MVP.
Market and Industry
According to the team's research, the aggregate VR / AR market in the US will reach $120 billion by 2020 (AR will be $90 billion and VR will be $30 billion respectively).
Comments: The market chosen by the project is developing dynamically.
The team consider services using VR as competitors:
However, we also consider it necessary to include projects focused on the gaming industry.
- XTR - a game built on blockchain and virtual reality.
- Decentraland - decentralized gaming world.
- Oasis-vr – VR game.
Summary: The main difference from competitors is the plot of the game itself, as well as the opportunity to be an entrepreneur (a land or shop owner, for example) within the game.
Platform Technical Parameters
The game will be built using the following technologies:
- Blockchain: Blockchain technologies track selected transactions, reduce fraud and ensure the decentralization and integrity of VU metadata.
- AI: artificial intelligence is used to make the game more realistic – for simulations not requiring players.
- The game is multimodal, making it possible to play both in VR and non-VR modes.
- VU is built on Epic Unreal Engine 4. The game is optimized for different devices: Oculus Rift, HTC Vive and Windows Mixed Reality.
The VU game ecosystem includes the following participants:
- Explorer - a gamer. An explorer can play the game, buy, sell and exchange items, and buy game updates.
- Creator - can perform modifications in the game in return for rewards.
- Entrepreneur. Entrepreneurs have the following possible roles:
- "landlords": They can buy and sell virtual land plots inside VU on which stores can be built (by themselves or by other users). A landowner receives income from his plot.
- owners of stores: Shop owners can sell objects, services or access to their experience.
Comments: The project uses existing technologies that have proven themselves in the market.
With the development of the required technology and data amounts it is planned to implement the following:
- June 2018 - Release of demo version - sneak peek.
- July 2018 - Release of private beta version.
- January 2019 - Launch of public beta version.
Comments: The project has presented a step-by-step strategy for project development.
The following active modules are available in the open repository:
- ahiatsevich: 84.27%
- mgarciap: 15.73%
Comments: The repository contains 2 open modules:
- vu.token - ICO smart contract.
- vu.world - smart contract for playing VU.
The repository belongs to VU. Current activity in the modules is not observed.
We have analyzed the VU website and documentation for sufficiency and consistency to assist in making an investment decision.
The website also provides information about the project, the RoadMap, the team, partners, advisors, technologies and the ICO, and is also presented in English.
Summary: The documentation enables a comprehensive view of the project. The documentation describes the project in sufficient detail.
Tokens issued for sale: 45%
Public ICO start: August 1, 2018
Token type: ERC20
Accepted currency: ETH
1 VU price: 0.00016 ETH
Tokens are used to buy and sell unique gaming items and services, as well as to gain experience and access to limited assets. Creators also receive rewards in tokens.
Token limitation: 1,000,000,000
Token holder benefits: Tokens are functional; users may sell them or use them for accessing the platform services.
Additional token emission: no
Token sale phases:
1) Pre Sale:
- April 1 - July 31
- August 1 - October 31
Hard cap: 100,000 ETH
Soft cap: N/A
30,000,000 VU tokens: 25% bonus
40,000,000 VU tokens: 15% bonus
80,000,000 VU tokens: 5% bonus
Comments: Unsold tokens will not be burned.
In total, 6,000,000 VU tokens (1000 ETH, 0.6% of the total number) will be allocated to the bounty program which will operate as follows:
- Weekly main prize: 5000 VU tokens
- Weekly bonuses (unlimited participation bonuses)
- Collect 50+ weekly points and receive 1000 VU tokens
- Collect 25+ weekly points and receive 500 VU tokens
- Collect 10+ weekly points and receive 250 VU tokens
Summary: The project has an extensive bounty program. All conditions for the program are indicated at the link above.
Token and Funds Allocation
Tokens and funds are distributed according to the following scheme:
Summary: Tokens do not affect the distribution of shares in the company. The incentive system is set up such way that it is more profitable to buy tokens in advance.
Project Development Plans
Summary: According to the team, a large-scale marketing campaign will be conducted. Details are not disclosed.
The team consists of 15 people and 7 advisors. Information about the main team members based on LinkedIn is given below:
- Jeroen Van Den Bosch - Co-founder. Founder of Ukledo (R & D blockchain company), founder and main creative director of Immersive Entertainment (VR software development). He founded Immersive Sciences in 2013 (R & D project in the field of VR and AR).
- Ciaran Foley - Co-founder. He is co-founder and CEO of Immersive Entertainment and co-founder of Ukledo. Member of the EiR program, mentor at UCI Institute for Innovation, where he is involved in supporting startups.
- Robert Curtis - Co-founder. Founder and chief operating officer of Immersive Entertainment, Inc. Advisor to Core Performance Concepts, Inc. Co-founder and managing director of VisibleAction.
Summary: Nearly all team members indicated an affiliation to the project. The team is mostly from the USA, and also has 12 developers: A concept artist, AI programmer, a textures/shadow and light artist, tools programmer, environmental artist, gameplay mechanics programmer, a procedural material artist, 3D modeler and animator and real-time FX artist.
Information about the project is available via services such as Twitter, Telegram, Reddit, Medium, Linkedin, Facebook, Github, Bitcointalk and YouTube. The project has a bounty program.
The team is conducting an advertising campaign on social media. Twitter and Facebook feature regular news updates on the project. The format of articles about the project shows that they were written mostly to order as reviews of the project.
Comments: Interest levels in the project are currently low. The marketing campaign is being developed mainly on Twitter and Facebook.
Traffic analysis of the VU website based on data from Similarweb.com showed the following:
Comments: direct link: 35.78%, referrals: 0.00%, search: 0.00%, social media: 0.00%, mail: 64.22%
Traffic via searches: 0%
Referral links: 0%
Social activity analysis of the VU website based on data from BE1.ru showed the following:
Comments: Site visitors are exclusively from Argentina - 100%.
Summary: Based on the data available, user interest in the project is still low. The team is conducting an advertising campaign on Twitter and Facebook, communicates with users on Telegram, uploads videos to their YouTube channel and maintains a blog on Medium. Over the past month, the number of website visits has increased by 1102.
The developers can be contacted using the links below: