Iconiq Lab Basic Review
|Start ICO||15 Apr 2018|
|End ICO||30 May 2018|
Name: Iconiq Lab
Ticker symbol: ICNQ
Project type: Cryptocurrency
Extended company description: Iconiq Lab is an investment fund and accelerator that allows start-ups to issue tokens, launch marketing campaigns and receive funding through the ICO.
Company: Iconiq Lab Holding GmbH
Public ICO start: 15.04.2018
Public ICO end: 30.05.2018
Token Sale duration (weeks): 6.4
Token type: ERC20
Token emission: 20,000,000
Tokens available (Pre-Sale + Public ICO): 15,000,000
1 ICNQ price: 1 EUR
Accepted payment: ETH
Bounty: program is active until the end of the ICO.
Token role: functional
Team (number of people): 10
Advisors and partners (number of people): 10
Iconiq Lab is an investment fund and accelerator that allows start-ups to issue tokens, launch marketing campaigns and receive funding through the ICO.
The program will provide the following services:
- Financing of the ICO at the initial stage.
- Consulting in the field of emission of tokens, marketing campaigns, business development, etc.
- Legal advice.
- Conducting lectures and workshops.
- Allows projects to present their ideas to the community and ICNQ club (investors and specialists).
Iconiq Lab attracts funds for financing the initial stage of future ICO projects using its own token.
- Prof. Dr. Philipp Sandner (LinkedIn) - Blockchain Expert. Head of Frankfurt School Blockchain Center, previously: Partner at Munich Innovation Group GmbH, Research Fellow at Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität (LMU) München.
- David Drake (LinkedIn) - Investment Advisor. Advisor at Vaultbank, P2PS, Shopin.
- Dimitri Chupryna (LinkedIn) – Analytics Advisor. Co-founder and Managing Partner at TaaS, Co-Founder of Kepler Technologies, Advisor at Proof, Inc., Sharpe Capital.
- Mitchell Louriero (LinkedIn) - ICO Marketing Advisor. Strategist at Vulpem Ventures, previously: Communications Specialist at rLoop Incorporated.
- Dr. Nina-Louisa Siedler (LinkedIn) - Legal Advisor. Partner of DWF, previously: Partner at DLA Piper UK LLP, Luther Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH.
- Ismail Malik (LinkedIn) - Media Advisor. Editor at ICO CROWD, Founder and CEO of BlockchainLab.
- Dominic Ward (LinkedIn) - Advisor in the field of accelerators. A leading specialist at Startup52, a Mentor at Startupbootcamp FinTech, CEO at CHARGED.fm.
- Kristofs Blaus (LinkedIn) - Business Development Advisor. No experience data.
- Junxi Zhang (LinkedIn) - Advisor (China). President at C & P Asset Management Co., Ltd., previously: Deputy General Manager at Jvtianxing Guarantee and Investment Co., Ltd.
- Dr. iur. Jochen Kasper MBA, LLM, MA (LinkedIn) - Legal Advisor. Partner at ACXIT Capital Partners, previously: Venture Capital Development Coach at EBS Universität für Wirtschaft und Recht, Research Fellow at Linklaters, PwC.
Frankfurt School - Research Center.
DWF - Legal Partner.
Solidified - Platform for auditing smart contracts.
Blockchain Bundesverband - Association for the Advancement of Blockchain Technology in Germany.
Liquet Associates - Legal Partner.
F6S - Acceleration platform for start-ups.
Fin Lab - Incubator for the development of German start-ups.
Santiment - Analytical agency providing information on blockchain market.
LDJ capital - Investment fund.
TAAS - Closed crypto fund.
- In February 2018 the project held a private pre-sale, during which $1 million was raised.
At the heart of the project is a venture fund and a start-up accelerator. The program provides financial support and advice in marketing, technology, ICO, etc.
Strengths of the project:
- The program is already running and oversees 5 start-ups.
- The target market demonstrates high growth rates.
- An experienced advisory board.
Weaknesses of the project:
- The project conducts accelerating programs in different regions of the world, therefore, not creating a community around its program and not working with the major sectoral businesses of the region.
According to EY, the total amount of funds raised through ICOs exceeded $3.7 billion and outperformed venture investment twice over. In addition to that, it is projected that this trend will continue, according to the report by the Global Crowdfunding Market, it is expected that the compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of the crowdfunding market will grow 26.87% between 2016-2020.
According to figures provided by Ernst & Young, total amount of funds raised on the ICOs is approaching $4 billion, which is twice the amount of venture capital invested in blockchain start-ups. This includes $0.5 billion, which Beijing has demanded to be returned to investors, after introducing a ban on ICOs.
According to ICO Box, in the third quarter about 80% of investments in start-ups were accounted for by large investors - Chinese private investment companies, hedge funds and venture firms specializing in cryptocurrencies. The rest are retail investors.
At the same time, the market of cryptocurrencies and blockchain will also show high growth rates: Infoholic Research LLP predicts that the market of cryptocurrencies and blockchain will grow by 35.2% in the next 5 years. Currently, the capitalization of cryptocurrency is $397,562,631,312 (March 8, 2013). [http://crowdfundbeat.com/mobile/2016/02/03/report-global-crowdfunding-market-2016-2020/], [https://coinmarketcap.com/], [http://www.ey.com/Publication/vwLUAssets/EY-ico-research/$FILE/EY-ico-research.pdf], [https://www.infoholicresearch.com/report/cryptocurrency-and-block-chain-market-trends-2016-2022/]
According to the team’s analysis, 235 ICOs were launched in 2017, while about $3.7 billion was raised. In addition, it was noted that start-ups prefer to raise funds by selling their own tokens (60% of funds for the development of start-ups were attracted through the ICOs).
Comments: The market is developing dynamically which indicates the opportunity to occupy its niche in the market.
The project team identifies two main types of competitors: traditional venture capitalists and crypto capitalists.
1. Traditional VCs: according to the representative of the team, the project competes with venture capitalists in the early stages in many respects.
The advantage of the project in this case, is to prevent dilution for novice developers, more strategic freedom for investors and a relatively liquid market for trading their stocks of companies or their tokens at an early stage.
Disadvantages: Crypto investment is not so widespread and it does not have a large history of development.
2. Crypto capitalists:
- cofound.it - a platform that connects you to teams that have trained to become serious blockchain businesses.
- ICObox - Blockchain Growth Promoter and Business Facilitator for companies seeking to sell their products via ICO crowdsales.
- Crypto Bazaar – this is a subsidiary of InvestBazar, a platform that has established itself as a strong player who can select quality business projects and find private investments for them.
- Superbloom Cuputal - funding and accelerating groundbreaking blockchain start-ups towards an ICO.
- Catena Capital – a blockchain accelerator and ICO fund.
- Coincrowd – a decentralized platform, driven by the community, where you can launch new projects and raise funds with technological guarantees.
This project differs from those of other companies such as cofound.it and superbloom in that there is a fund as part of the project that invests in start-ups on ICNQ LAB.
Besides, for projects, the ICNQ token effectively interacts with the received audience of potential ICO investors, which gives start-ups the opportunity to request investments directly. For investors, they can rely on the team's experience as former venture capitalists and investment managers to identify and promote, investment opportunities through tokens, which are confirmed by real business cases. [Telegram]
In the course of our research, we have identified the following blockchain-based competitors:
- Starta - an acceleration program was launched to empower Eastern European frontier technology companies by exposing them to the USA market. Starta Accelerator 16/17 LLC is a portfolio of 21 post-product stage tech companies customized for Eastern European founders aiming to adapt to the cultural and business environment in the US.
- Astronaut – a crypto fund which invests in projects based on its own evaluation system.
Summary: The key difference between Iconiq Lab and its competitors, is its positioning as an acceleration program. Projects must be screened and have the opportunity to obtain funding, while competitors provide services to all comers.
The program will provide services in mastering blockchain technology, smart contracts, AI, etc.
The platform works as follows:
1) The start-up applies for participation in the Iconiq Lab program through a digital portal or platforms (F6S).
2) Iconiq Lab checks the candidate, the documentation, development plans, etc. (Due Diligence process).
3) The startup receives funding upon successful completion of this stage (from 25,000 to 200,000 euros in ETH) to develop MPV and participates in the 10-week Roadshow.
4) Iconiq Lab provides assistance with marketing, the emission of tokens, development of business strategies, consulting, law, etc.
5) Holding of closed pre-sale for ICNQ token holders.
6) Launching a public ICO for the participating project.
7) Launch of the final stage of the Post-ICO and preparation of reports.
Comments: According to the White Paper, the platform is already running. 165 applications were received.
There are no active modules in open repository:
Comments: The project has one active module containing a smart contract:
- gustavoguimaraes: 99.75%
- barmatz: 0.25%
The repository belongs to Iconiq Lab.
We have analyzed the website and documentation of Iconiq Lab for sufficiency and consistency in relation to making an investment decision.
The website also provides information about the project, the RoadMap, the ICO, their partners, the team and advisors. The website is presented in English. The website contains all the basic answers to the frequently asked questions and questions can be asked in the Telegram group which contains a lot of useful information about the project and its history.
Summary: The documentation gives a comprehensive view of the project. The work process of the fund and the accelerator and its functionality are all described in sufficient detail.
Tokens issued for sale: 75%
Public ICO start: April 15, 2018
Token type: ERC20
Accepted payment: ETH
1 ICNQ price: 1 EUR
Crowdsale duration: 6 weeks, until May 30, 2018
The ICNQ token gives one the right to membership in the ICNQ club. Members of the ICNQ Club will have exclusive pre-licensing privileges, access to the platform and benefits of the Iconiq Lab community.
Token limitation: 20,000,000
Advantages of tokens holders:
Additional token emission: no
The Token Sale is implemented in several stages:
Max goal: 10,000,000 EUR
Min goal (ICO): 500,000 EUR
Bonus: 50% bonus pre-sale discount.
Comments: A total of 15,000,000 ICNQ will be for sale, 3,750,000 of which will be available on public pre-sale and sale. The remaining tokens are for institutional & U.S. accredited investors. The minimum purchase amount is 1 ETH.
Link to the Bounty: [https://iconiqlab.com/bounty/]
The project allocates 5% (1M ICNQ) of the total number of tokens for the bounty.
The program is open in the following areas:
- Social Media
- Content (including posts on Medium, etc.)
- Bitcointalk subscription campaign
- Translation campaign
Summary: The project has an extensive bounty program. All conditions of the program are indicated by the link above. Rewards will be distributed after the end of the Token Sale.
Token and Capital Distribution
Tokens and capital are distributed according to the following scheme:
Summary: Tokens do not affect the distribution of shares in the company. The incentive system is built in such way that it is more profitable to buy tokens earlier.
- February 2018: Official launch of acceleration program with 5 start-ups in Germany.
- June 2018: Official launch of Iconiq Consulting.
- July 2018: Launch of the second acceleration program in Germany.
- September 2018: Launch of the acceleration program in New York.
- November 2018: Launch of the acceleration program in Singapore.
Summary: The team presented plans for scaling the project. According to the roadmap, the team will launch four acceleration programs in 2018 in various regions of the world, with 20 projects being invested in by the end of the year.
The team consists of 10 people and 10 advisors. Information about the main team members based on their LinkedIn profiles is given below:
- Patrick Lowry (LinkedIn) - CEO and Managing Partner. Previously: Venture Capitalist at ZIEGERT Bank & Real Estate Consulting GmbH, Deutsche Börse, Partner at Graham Partners, Co-Founder and CFO of Voltaic Coatings.
- Maximilian Lautenschläger (LinkedIn) - Managing Partner. ICO Advisor at Healthbase Digital, Cryptonaut, Strategic Advisor at Ligare Technologies Limited, previously: Venture Developer at crossbuilders GmbH.
- Daniel Barmatz (LinkedIn) - Technical Director. CTO Advisor at ProCircle Network, previously: Co-Founder and Technical Director of Epiphyte Corporation, Architect of the user interface at NICE Systems.
The team has 7 more people.
Summary: The team is made up by people from all over the world, such as, USA, Germany, Poland, India, Latvia, Israel, UK, and so on. The project is primarily based in Germany. The team also includes the following specialists: Strategy Director, Portfolio Director, Marketing Director, Technical Consultant, Communication Managers and Corporate Design Expert.
Information about the project is available in various popular services such as Twitter, Telegram, Medium, LinkedIn, Facebook, Crunchbase and YouTube. The project has a Bounty program.
The team conducts an advertising campaign on social media. Regular news updates on Twitter and Facebook. There is a blog on Medium, LinkedIn and Instagram. The main community is on Telegram and has its own blog and website.
The format of articles about the project shows that they are written mostly by the team members as a review or information portals, as an announcement of the next project staging the ICO.
Comments: The interest in the project is rising. Iconiq Lab closes a 1M USD in private presale [https://iconiqlab.com/community/]
Traffic source: [https://www.similarweb.com/website/token.iconiqlab.com]
Comments: direct link: 4,19, referrals: 95,81, search: 0, social media: 0, mail: 0
Traffic through search: 0
Social activity of Iconiq Lab based on BE1.ru data showed the following:
Traffic source: [https://be1.ru/stat/token.iconiqlab.com]
Comments: Top 4 visitor countries: Spain - 36.11%, Germany - 27.99%, Great Britain - 21.73%, Russia - 14.16%
Referral links: iconiqlab.com 100.00%
Social Activities: No Information
Traffic source: [https://www.similarweb.com/website/iconiqlab.com]
February: the number of visits to the main website
Summary: Based on the available data, it can be concluded that the team conducts active advertising campaigns on Twitter and Facebook, communicates with users on Telegram, maintains a blog on Medium and participates in various events. There are also a number of media publications. The number of visitors to the ICO website of the project [token.iconiqlab.com] is about 400 people per month. The team plans to be on a token site during public sale and then redirect the audience to the main Iconiq Lab site.
The activity of the main website decreased by 3000 people compared to the previous month.
The developers can be contacted using the links below:
The information contained in the document is for informational purposes only. The views expressed in this document are solely personal stance of the ICOrating Team, based on data from open access and information that developers provided to the team through Skype, email or other means of communication.
Our goal is to increase the transparency and reliability of the young ICO market and to minimize the risk of fraud.
We appreciate feedback with constructive comments, suggestions and ideas on how to make the analysis more comprehensive and informative.